Turning Ten.

Thursday, September 22, 2011



An excerpt from my favorite poem by Billy Collins: "On Turning Ten"

You tell me it is too early to be looking back,
but that is because you have forgotten
the perfect simplicity of being one
and the beautiful complexity introduced by two.
But I can lie on my bed and remember every digit.
At four I was an Arabian wizard.
I could make myself invisible
by drinking a glass of milk a certain way.
At seven I was a soldier, at nine a prince.

...

It is time to say good-bye to my imaginary friends, 
time to turn the first big number.

It seems only yesterday I used to believe
there was nothing under my skin but light.
If you cut me I would shine.
But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,
I skin my knees. I bleed. 


Oh Billy... you will always mesmerize me with your words, deep thoughts and brilliance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY