"You Already Knew the Answer."

Monday, October 17, 2011

so true....
Yes, I am my mother's daughter, who currently and forever will, seek her for advice, life lessons, criticism and encouragement. With her is only truth - the blunt, harsh of reality which I ever-so greatly appreciate. At times, these truths may be a bit too difficult to hear; however, of all people, I would rather hear it from her - a person who truly loves me and wants the best for her child.

Well here was my latest "situation"/ the dilemma to mom.

On Saturday at 3 p.m. we as UW PRSSA, had signed up/were looking forward to going to Disney World's Hollywood Studios for the remainder of our day. Little did I know, that I got selected to attend an exclusive resume critique session with respected PRSA members. I forgot that I had entered a raffle for this session aka dropped my business card into a box a registration... woops! The resume critique session was to be held at 4 p.m., which conflicted with the whole Disney experience. 

This question remained: was it worth it to pay an extra $30 for a solo cab ride to catch up with the whole gang afterwards - only 3 hours left before the park closed? I mean... how often would I get to travel to Orlando/I already paid $50 for my ticket. ALSO NOTE: I was not going to, by any means, give up the opportunity to have my resume critiqued by several notable PRSA Professionals. 

When I called my mother and explained to her my situation. Her response was:

"Why are you asking me this? From the tone of your voice and how you're shaping this conversation, it's obvious that you already know the answer... so what's the point in asking me? Trust your instincts... by the way, I'm proud of your decision."

Oh mother dearest, I guess I just wanted to verify that it was okay to throw 50 bucks away because I valued my professional development more than a picture with Mickey... yeah, as much as I wanted to scream like crazy on The Tower of Terror, there was no way in hell that I would miss an opportunity such as the one I was given. Also, I guess I just needed that reassurance. 

So I skipped Disney World.. yes I know. I missed out on the "happiest place on earth," but I got to meet three great professionals who all reviewed my resume - which I desperately needed for job/internship hunting season.

I am thoroughly happy with my decision, and like my mother said... "I already knew the answer to my question." But really though, "Thanks, mom" for the reassurance and for listening to my semi-freak out.

As for the PRSSA National Conference, I am enjoying every minute of it and have more updates for y'all. I'll be sure to write a detailed brief covering my favorite events and exciting PR professionals I met at the end of the trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY