can't hold us down.

Thursday, July 5, 2012


macklemore. 

I'm sure I've mentioned Macklemore's "Can't Hold Us Down" song before in previous posts, but its greatness is worth mentioning again. Fact #245 of life, learned after attending UW: You can't go through your four years as a Husky without being a fan of Macklemore and/or Blue Scholars. It's inevitable.


He's a legend, and a Seattle party must-play artist. Popular hits include "And We Danced," "Wings" and "Otherside." I'm a fan of his "Irish Celebration" song, too. I wouldn't consider him over-played to be mainstream, but he's definitely not underground anymore.


Macklemore began his career when he was at Garfield High School, and from then, he's performed at popular Seattle music shindigs such as Capitol Hill Block Party, Bumbershoot and Sasquatch. He's known as a socially conscious rapper - since his music does address topics such as consumerism, race and drug addiction. 

One of the best nights I had in college... walking home from some midnight adventures with three of my closest sorority sisters, and we stumble upon this house that had camera lights, shadows of a large crowd in the windows and confetti..everywhere... we were witnessing live footage of Macklemore being filmed for his "And We Danced" music video. epic.

           

This song, especially, is one of my all-time favorites: "Can't Hold Us Down" --a motivation song that's a perfect start to my morning and possibly on-repeat when I'm concentrating on finishing up a report at work. This song sits alongside Blue Scholars and Citizen Cope.

Don't let the pink fool ya, folks... this girl is a BIG FAN and avid listener of underground hip hop and  alternative/indie jams. Britney doesn't dominate her Spotify playlists.


I'll leave you this morning with some wise words from Macklemore's song:

This is the moment
Tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'till it’s over
So we put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us


That's right friends... you've got this... don't let anything hold us down.

Images [1] [2] [3]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love love love this! =)

    xox!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY