Yes, it's still winter... and being in Seattle means the countless days of rainboots and trenches. BUT soon and so very soon, spring fashion will make its way to the pavement. One of my favorite trends is tulle. Dresses, skirts, hair pins - it don't matter. It's pretty, and I want it everywhere. Today I share five ways to wear tulle in an everyday outfit.
(1) casual chic by slouchy sweater. To offset the poufy-ness of a full tulle skirt, pair it with a slouchy cashmere sweater and a top knot. Extra points if it's a got a little Frenchie on it.
(2) blazer and ballet flats ensemble. For a sharper and more professional look - a shrunken blazer and ballet flats can make tulle a bit more appropriate for the office. Layered strands of pearls and a glittery brooch can add some extra pizzaz, too.
(3) hair pins. Who says you have to actually wear a skirt to incorporate tulle in your outfit? Hair pins or headbands could use the extra frill. Here are two of my favorite picks for hair accessories:
|tulle pom headband via anthropologie ($28) | tulle rosette hair clips via forever 21 ($1.80)|
(4) statement necklace. Add just a touch of delicate elegance with a beautiful, bejeweled necklace to dress up a little black dress or make a striped t-shirt + skinny jean ensemble a little more feminine. As much as I'm in love with Anthro's Tulle Tendril Bib necklace... I unfortunately don't think I'll be spending $400+ on that... so either I suggest DIYing it via Stripes & Sequin's tutorial (see bottom of post) or opting for a more budget-friendly tulle necklace from Forever 21(here). Being a crafter, I think I'm going to try and DIY it... cross 'em fingers that it turns out all right!
(5) dressed up denim. Take a simple chambray top to the next level with a sugar plum fairy tutu. Glittery shoes, bows and grosgrain ribbon... preppy meets urban with baubles and pouf.
For some Pinterest inspiration - see below for a few of my favorite pins of this fun, ballerina-like look.
And of course... I had to share with you how I wore my new tulle skirt!
Yes... it is a child's skirt... size 14 to be exact... being petite has its perks?
Paired with a chambray top (similar here), turquoise baubles, a J.Crew glittered belt and Sam Edelman gold-tassel pumps... I'm obsessed with how this bright tutu fancied up this outfit. Arm candy courtesy of Mama Nguyen and my main squeeze.
Props to my teammate @konradpalubicki for snapping these shots at the office!
For more tulle-fun, visit one of my favorite bloggers, Stripes & Sequins! I love this outfit of hers - see how she pairs a manifesto tshirt and glitter bow heels with her lovely champagne-colored tulle skirt. Also, if you're looking for a weekend project, she also features an Anthro-inspired bib necklace DIY.
So, what's the verdict... will you wear tulle?