Opa! Adventures to the Portland Greek Festival

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Think... epic Greek food, amazing music, catching up with a best friend from high school.. and of course, tons of beer. That was this past Friday's adventure in Portland.

One of my dear friends, Chris, mentioned this fun, cultural outing a couple weeks ago and invited me along for dinner at Portland's annual Greek Festival, located on the church-grounds of the gorgeous Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral (32nd and NE Glisan).

Of course, Chris was late ... per usual... but not a bad thing at all - I had the chance to explore the lovely NE Portland neighborhood. Absolutely beautiful homes... and such a quiet, hipster neighborhood... typical Portland.

About ten minutes later, dearest/goofy Chris and I made our way onto the church grounds for our night of overwhelmingly great Greek food, loud music, drinks and tons of catching up.

image via
no... but really....

After some wine and beer... and getting lost in the beer garden, we heard a loud man yell... "LAMB #7 is ready to be cut!"

Lamb no. 7?! Whoa... hold the phone now, folks.. We had to go check that out, and there it was .. in all of its glory - a big, whole lamb... roasting. YUM. Too bad, I had to leave early and didn't get to enjoy a piece. 

However, I did eat my fair share of Greek goods:

Spanakopita :: spinach, feta, ricotta, and onions smothered together and wrapped in a flaky, phyllo pastry dough
Gyros :: roasted meat served on pita with tzatziki, tomatoes and onions
Loukoumades :: small, honey-glazed donut-like balls of delectable goodness

image via
Lamb.. soo much lamb... Apparently, they cooked 8 that night?!
image via
Ooo.. Lookie at these beautiful, tasty Loukoumades!
Cheers to Chris for snapping this happy moment!
Yes, it was a splendid evening - apparently, we missed out on the dancing but the laughs, good chats and jokes totally made up for it. To Chris - it was a highlight of my October.

This past weekend, I had a blast during my mini-vacation to Portland! Got to catch up with my best friend from high school, see my family and celebrate my Grandma's 85th Birthday! :)

Doesn't she look great?! Love LOVE her. So happy I got to be home for her big day.
Started off October on the right track. Cheers to more fun this month!

Up next on The Accessory... I bring you Little Problems - cute sorority gear... must-have accessories for the preppy, fun sorority girl.. and of course, it's for a good cause.

1 comment:

  1. I love Greek food! Looks like y'all had an amazing time. :) Glad you got to have your Portland vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY