Recipe: Blueberry Blasted Smoothie

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

image via
Today's breakfast, I'm focused on antioxidants and lean, healthy proteins. Presenting.... a Blueberry Blasted Smoothie! (I adapted this recipe from Cookie Monster Cooking's Blueberry Peanut Butter Smoothie, but tried my best to make it more Paleo-esque and Zone-like).

For example, I used almond butter instead of peanut butter, which still gives you that rich, nutty flavor but with healthier fats and less oil and saturated fats. Almond butter is also a great source of fiber, Vitamin E and potassium. Additionally, I subbed coconut milk for regular milk... since this girl's got some lactose issues... (that maybe a TMI-statement.. woops!) Lastly with a handful of spinach, I made sure I got a serving of greens with my breakfast.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
1 cup of coconut milk 
1 handful of spinach
1 1/2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt (I used plain, but the Vanilla flavored yogurt gives an extra touch of sweetness)
1 tablespoon of almond butter (feel free to add more if you like a more nutty flavor)

Instructions:
1. Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender like a Vitamix. I recommend putting your frozen blueberries and coconut milk in first and then layering with the rest of the ingredients so you can get the more condensed ingredients blended first. 
2. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth. Use additional coconut milk to thin out the smoothie if needed. 
3. Serve immediately and enjoy!


Tastes just like a PB+J!
What are your favorite breakfast smoothies? 
Would love to hear in comments below!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Mmm that sounds delicious! I usually make mine with spinach, a banana, frozen strawberries, coconut water, and chia seeds. If I'm making one after a workout I'll add some protein powder! <3

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY